Written on Modified on
Juice Technology AG, the manufacturer of charging stations and software and leader in mobile charging stations for electric vehicles, has been presented with this year’s iF Design Award for the JUICE CHARGER me 3.
The JUICE CHARGER me 3 isn’t just highly rated by customers, it is also the new darling of the design experts. Having previously won the Red Dot Design Award 2022, the aesthetic wall-box has now won one of the most highly-regarded design awards at the international level – the iF Design Award 2022.
This year, no less than 10,776 products and projects submitted an entry for the iF Design Award. From this record number, a highly-regarded international and independent group of 132 design experts whittled the initial submissions down to 5,426. In the final round, each entry was judged, discussed and graded by a jury according to five criteria. In this context, the JUICE CHARGER me 3 was chosen as the winner of the iF Design Award 2022 in the category of Automobiles/Motor Vehicles.
“Our development and design teams at Juice always aim to exceed expectations. Taking the example of Bauhaus architecture, minimal form and maximum function merge to create a timeless result which is only necessary to buy once in a lifetime. This enthusiasm is visible in the product and should also inspire the user. Our customers deserve nothing less than this. Anything else would be an insult – although unfortunately, there are plenty of examples of this,” Christoph Erni, CEO and founder of Juice, was delighted to receive the award.
The wall charging station was assessed in a transparent, structured process and in terms of its idea, form, function, brand differentiation and impact. With its simple rectangular shape consisting of clear lines and elegant curves, the JUICE CHARGER me 3 is particularly appealing to the target group which expects trend-setting technology and appealing aesthetics. Its design in particular makes the charging station extremely functional, absolutely safe (IP67 and IK10), easy to operate and therefore exceptionally user-friendly. Its high-quality, minimalist appearance takes this charging station to a new design level and not only makes it functional, but also part of the vehicle from the visual perspective.
Its well thought-out design also means the front glass can be personalised easily for large customers, while maintaining the same considerable impact of the overall design. “For us, high-quality design doesn’t stop with the e-vehicle,” continues Christoph Erni. The resource-conserving design and the ability for over-the-air updates prove the future viability of the device, which also takes sustainability into consideration.
This factor in particular was also welcomed by the jury:“Inspiring to see that we are seeing the signs of more sustainable approaches in design – sustainability is ‘the new luxury’ – meaning replacing some of old aspirations, with new and meaningful aspirations.”, explains Stina Nilimaa Wickström, Vice President Volvo Group Design, Sweden.
Key advantages of the JUICE CHARGER me 3 at a glance:
1. Plug and Play: The wall-box is completely pre-configured ex-works and ready for immediate use.
2. Plug and Charge: The JUICE CHARGER me 3 already supports ISO 15118. When connected to the charging socket, the charging station detects any registered vehicle that has the Plug and Charge standard and starts the charging immediately.
3. Charging and load management: Local dynamic charging management in master-slave mode is incorporated for up to 250 charging stations free of charge.
4. Small format: With an edge length of 28 cm and a depth of 12.5 cm, the JUICE CHARGER me 3 is particularly compact, and with a weight of just 6.5 kg (including cable), it is also very light. A 5 m cable ensures the necessary flexibility.
5. Charging capacity: One to three-phase charging at six to 32 amps provides a charging capacity of up to 22 kW. The ex-works standard version with a power output of 11 kW can be upgraded to 22 kW with software.
6. Equipped for public spaces: The JUICE CHARGER me 3 is optionally available with MID-certified (calibrated) counter and the choice of a built-in FI/LS (fault current/line circuit breaker) – prepared for direct connection with bus-bars or flat ribbon cables.
7. Connectivity: The standardised open charge point protocol (OCPP 1.5/1.6) provides the basis for the connection to the JUICE EXO (or back-end and building management systems from external service providers), and enables device management, remote maintenance, billing or load management. Three standardised interfaces (Modbus/TCP, Modbus/RTU and EEBUS) ensure the communication with a home energy management system.
This allows for the integration of the photovoltaic system into the home energy management as well as external load management control. The external communication takes place via either the Ethernet connection (LAN, RJ45) or the integrated wifi receiver. However, no permanent network connection is required for use as a private single charging station, so operation is also possible without a LAN connection. In this case, a notebook can simply be connected for updates.
8. Well thought-out and safe design: The JUICE CHARGER me 3 has a front which is made from scratch-resistant, internally-printed acrylic glass (PMMA). The shell of the outer casing and the base of the inner casing are made from a composite plastic consisting of polycarbonate (PC) and acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS). ABS is characterised by its good impact, scratch and abrasion resistance, as well as its resistance to oil and grease. The composite is exceptionally stable, fire retardant and certified as UV-resistant. The transparent cover of the inner casing is made from impact-resistant polycarbonate (PC).
The base and cover are screwed together and form a tightly-sealed system. The charger is therefore protected against the penetration of dirt and moisture according to IP67 and highly shock-resistant according to IK10, making it suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. The device can be used at outside temperatures of between -30°C and +50°C. Its temperature sensor for the reduction of the charging current operates regardless of the ambient temperature. The charging station is CE-compliant in accordance with the two EMC Directives, IEC 61851 and IEC 61439-7.
9. Installation: The JUICE CHARGER me 3 can be attached to the wall as a wall-box – as an on-wall or in-wall installation (with feed line from the rear). As the entire electronics are accommodated on a rear plate and are therefore independent of the casing, it is possible for the charging station to be mounted rotated by 180° and to connect it to a feed line from above. The device can also be installed on a column either individually or in pairs, though.
10. Activation: An RFID reader (MIFARE Classic/Desfire) is integrated behind the front panel. The RFID activation is for all vehicles which do not support the ISO 15118 standard for ‘Plug and Charge’. The two pre-programmed cards supplied can easily be blocked and replaced in the event of loss. Alternatively, existing RFID badges (from access or canteen systems, for example) can be read in and authorised at the customer’s premises.
11. Price: JUICE CHARGER me 3 in basic configuration: CHF/EUR 1199.,-; with MID counter 1499.-; with MID counter and FI/LS 2142.,- / column: CHF/EUR 499.- / replacement glass: CHF/EUR 49.-; Front Glass Juice Style line: from CHF/EUR 59.-. All prices include VAT.
JUICE CHARGER me 3
Further information is available at www.juice.world/en/products/juice-charger-me-3